Funny enough is that in France anything gastro or stomach related is
met with the dreaded outstretched palms of distance, or fingers dramatically
crossed in a X with a fearful expression of, ‘please don’t infect me’.
It is perhaps one of the most common illnesses to afflict just about everyone
in France at least once per year, and it is still met with intense fear and
panic. Mind you I can’t blame anyone since there is nothing worse than feeling
sick to your stomach, so I can relate. But it is still odd, at least
culturally, since in North America the common cold or a cough incite the mass
purchasing of hand sanitizer and Kleenex, coupled with dirty looks and the
unsympathetic covering of faces in the vicinity of someone with the sniffles.
So over the past couple of days when someone at work asks how I am and
I say that I am much better and that it was a mal au ventre,
I unintentionally elicit both sympathy and panic that I may be harbouring a
greedy infecting bug ready to infest. Now I doubt I had or have the flu, and if
anything it feels more like a long winded stint of heartburn or indigestion,
although I am starting to question that too as my body is still not back to
normal… perhaps it is a mild case of food poisoning or my body rebelling
against the deliciously decadent French diet? Whatever the cause, my waistband
is happy and my grocery bill is nil for this week!
I have also included a link to another gastro related blog sent to me
by a French friend with international roots and experiences! (anomalies-of-french-life-la-gastro) .
on the mend :)
ReplyDelete