Friday March 25, 2011
Before arriving in Geneva, I had poked around on the internet for information on things to do and places to see. I looked at various options on the tourist website and considered others that were recommended; however, once on Swiss soil, I was without a plan and left to cherish the moment and its possibilities.
After finally getting into my cousin’s apartment; which I now know a future career choice should not include a run as a successful burglar, B&E technician, nor locksmith; I briefly settled in and then set out to explore the city. Within the first half hour, I met a pleasant older Portuguese man by the name of Tony. Not having the opportunity to have many successful conversations in French I agreed to have coffee with my new acquaintance along the banks of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva). In the spirit of the winds and the present moment, I then accepted an invitation to tour Geneva and part of France, as France surrounds Geneva by 90%! So I set off for a leisure drive through Switzerland into France to the medieval town of Yvoire. Following the unsuspected yet appreciated tour complete with facts and history, I bid my tour guide adieu and set out for an incredibly late lunch or early dinner, as I was in search of some yummy Swiss food prior to the tour.
A short while later I settled into a quaint Indian restaurant with plush red velvet cushioned regal style chairs, and repeated twice that I was dining pour un. Sitting so I could watch the tourists and Genevans walking along the street, while also catching the reflection of Bollywood themed music videos from the TV behind me; I enjoyed a glass of wine with the vegetarian menu complete with halwa for dessert. So much for traditional Swiss food, which unfortunately I did not end up trying, but it had been nearly a half a year since I indulged in Indian food and all its fragrance and spice!
A nice conclusion to my first day in Geneva, complete with a tour of not only the city but a small French town, a full belly and a renewed sense of physical direction!
| Yvoire, France |
| Yvoire, France |
| View from Yvoire |
No comments:
Post a Comment