Monday, March 28, 2011

The soul resounds in sight and sound.

Sunday March 27, 2011

On my final day in Geneva, as unlike the previous days, I did have a loosely based agenda, including three different activities I hoped to complete. In actuality I was able to do 2 of the 3, leaving out a cruise along the lake in the hopes of adding it to a future trip along with a tour of the United Nations.

Unlike the spring forward change in Canada, the day to move our clocks ahead one hour was on Sunday, however, I did not remember until a few hours after waking up, and so I was off my previously planned schedule of when I wanted to start my day. But alas, another reminder that these plans often have a way of re-planning themselves despite your best efforts to stay on schedule. Deterred I was not, and instead I went for a walk and bought a thank you plant and purchased a day pass for the bus. I was then off to explore the Salève mountains. I boarded the bus, which was conveniently located one block away from the apartment; to an area outside of urban Geneva and took the téléphérique (cable car) to the top of the Salèves.

Words and pictures cannot describe the magnificence and serenity of the mountain, nor the view, but definitely an experience worth repeating. Up on the mountain top, I took a leisurely stroll downhill and an even more leisurely climb back up, while taking in the fresh air, revelling in its natural stillness, and admiring the old cottage and farm style homes, while imagining a life lived atop a mountain.

After descending down the Salève mountain range, I journeyed back into the city of Geneva, where for the first time in over 5 months enjoyed a latte and bagel with fromage frais (the French version of cream cheese), from Starbucks. How much more anti-European can I get…. a coffee considerably larger than the average shot glass sized café and with milk to boot!

I then proceeded to enjoy my Starbucks treat while sitting outside of Cathédrale St. Pierre, while waiting to hear the King’s Choir of Cambridge perform in the Cathedral. My eyes had just marvelled the beauty of the mountains, and now my ears were hearing the angelic voices of a choir perfectly tuned in cadence and resonance, rendering the crowded Cathedral silent in awe and admiration.

And so this was the final day in Geneva… a day of wondrous sights and sounds, inspired imagination and soulful gratitude. My first ever solo journey was ending, but with all endings come new beginnings, and here’s to the hopes that this experience fosters greater confidence, independence and appreciation of a life worth living, and simple moments treasured.


St. Pierre Cathedral

King's Choir

Outside of St. Pierre Cathedral

Saleve Mts

Saleve Mts

Saleve Mts


2 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a good trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thumbs and my toes are way up in honour of your first MINI-voyage within this larger, unchattered journey. I think there is something to be said in being lost (navigationally or otherwise) as it definitely assists towards a sense of adventure. Besides, how else can one find oneself over and over again. I surely miss you, but I know where to find you. Gros bisous xo

    ReplyDelete