Here's to health!....? While I am still waiting for my health card to be processed and finalized I am afflicted with at least the 3rd illness since my arrival to France; the health capital of Europe... and possibly even the world. I have always been relatively healthy and rarely get sick, except for an annual cold, but the months leading up to my move were filled with two long lasting colds within a 6 week period; and since adjusting to french life I have battled a few colds and an antibiotic resistant ear infection!! Maybe it is stress (although I don't feel anymore stressed than usual)? Maybe it is my body's way of ridding itself of preconceived notions, expectations and constraints? Or maybe there is no reason at all except that I am once again sniffling and coughing and sleepy? But my overactive brain is always looking for associations and possibilities, and as such, perhaps my body is in a state of purging to allow for a healthier and more resilient realized self?
And yet, also during this time I am preparing to fully experience the health care system, complete with doctors appointments, prescriptions, specialist referrals, radiological scans, and an upcoming surgery. The expression is... 'go big or go home', right? Well, what better way to acclimate as a genuine frenchie than through the intimate workings of their universal health care system.
Before expanding on my health adventures, I have learned a few things about France and health...
- as a country they have the highest use and possibly abuse of psychiatric medications...
- most people think that the standard €23 to see a general practitioner is expensive (aka cher)...
- most services are paid for up front and then reimbursed by the government and any difference in cost is usually covered by a Mutuelle (independent or employment based insurance)...
- all medications, including over the counter (cough syrup, aspirin, antacids...) can only be purchased at an approved pharmacy (marked by a glowing green cross above the door). And like everything else in France they are closed on Sunday's, during lunch, and at night, so in cases of emergency you have to determine which local pharmacy is open for emergencies (but they change regularly)...
As for me, I will be having surgery on my ear this coming June 15. After my ongoing ear infection that did not clear with the first round of antibiotics and never ending ear vacuuming session, I was treated with a stronger and more expensive therapy of antibiotics, followed by more ear prodding and vacuuming.... Since then I was referred for a CAT scan, which was scheduled about 2 weeks after my last visit with the ear aspirator. Plus!!, the results were available immediately following the scan, complete with a CD of pictures for my follow up specialist appointment. However, based on these results and the probability of a recurring cholesteatoma, I was referred for a MRI. I was told that the usual wait for a MRI was 3 months, however, I was booked for the test 2 weeks later; again with the results and picture CD, immediately following. And it was then, at this appointment, that I was told of the inevitable requirement of surgery. I must admit I was not surprised and had been battling many of the same symptoms I had in the past before having the same surgery nearly 11 years ago.
Approximately 2 weeks later (I am noticing a theme here...), I met with my specialist for a pre-op consultation, and oh yeah, 'a third time's a charm' ear cleaning. The scan results were reviewed, a hearing test evaluated and surgery dates discussed. While my Doctor would have preferred the middle of May (one month after the pre-op), I pleaded for the middle of June to allow for another month of work, a short jaunt back to London and an anticipated visit from my good friend Tefta! So June 15 it is, and in perfect french health care efficiency, I will go to the hospital on June 14 for my pre-admission where I will relax for the night and the nurses will make sure I don't eat or stress or whatever?, and then the following day my ear woes will be surgically re-removed. I will then spend another restfull night in hospital, followed by 8-10 days of post-surgical slumber and relaxation.
So... what is this cholesteatoma thing anyways? Check out this link for more... cholesteatoma info
Alors, here is to your health and my health and reinvigorated wellbeing!
No comments:
Post a Comment