Monday, September 5, 2011

Aix-les-Bains

In between my birthday, job interview and training date, I decided, after much contemplation and hesitation to go away for a solo celebratory birthday weekend! After countless internet searches, debating between places to visit, where to stay, how to get there, and if it was in my best financial interest (um, that was a no brainer – NO), I decided that my desire to treat myself outweighed the impractical and practical reasons for either going or not. And so, after debating between Dijon and somewhere near the mountains, Aix-les-Bains came out on top for its mountainous charm! Dijon, however, continues to remain a dream destination, even if it is only because I have grown to love, appreciate and crave the distinct pungent flavour of Dijon mustard!

After a few phone calls and emails to clarify hotel details, en français (of course), I was booked for a two night stay in Aix-les-Bains, armed with a pre-programmed GPS, and a playlist of relaxing melodies.

Saturday morning, August 27, was relaxed and low-key and I took my time packing and preparing for my approaching getaway!! A short one hour drive along the Auto-route and I arrived amidst the mountainous backdrop of the quaint little town of Aix-les-Bains. Situated near the Swiss border, on the Lac du Bourget, with views of the Jura Mountains, and the foothills of the Alps, I was transported to a state of instant serenity.

Why am I living in a city?
I should be living near the mountains and forests,
surrounded by trees, trails and hills!


Too early to check into the hotel, I parked the car and wandered around the town, stopping in a few shops to check out faded and dated postcards and admire the quietness of small town living. It was during this time that I remembered that Aix-les-Bains is popular for its thermal baths and alternative medical therapies, drawing primarily seniors to its renowned treatment spas. So, as it happened, I rang in my 34th year, in a town of white-hairs and walkers ;) How’s that for feeling initially apprehensive about turning a year older!


 
After checking in, I took a 30 second stroll to the tourist office next door and armed with a town map set out to explore the few attractions, most of which could be seen from across the street. I wandered around the landmarks near the hotel, including the Mairie (Town Hall), town church, local park and town square. I roamed aimlessly without the aid of the map and through the Bois Vidal, a hilly nature trail with magnificent views of the surrounding mountains.

Mairie (Town Hall)

Parc de Verdure
View from Bois Vidal

Old well in Bois Vidal
 
 
Back in the town centre I stopped to smile and briefly watch the townsfolk dance to the amplified accordion sounds during the early evening festivities in the town square. Much of the town shut down early, except for a few restaurants within the main square, and so it was an early night with the view of the lighted Mairie from my window, and a decadent chocolate cake-like dessert for a birthday treat.

Town Square Party & Dancing
Birthday Cake :)
View of the Mairie from my window

The following day I walked to the local church (Notre Dame), where I attended a French mass, followed by lunch on an outside terrace, enjoying the best burger (with dijon) thus far in France with a panaché (a limonade flavoured beer). With a full and happy belly I walked back toward the church and to the Faure Museum next door. There, I spent a couple of hours admiring impressionist art by Rodin and other French painters and sculptors. The afternoon skies were sunny and clear and the air was warm; perfect for walking and sitting along the Lake (with the rest of the tourists).  A simple salad with goat cheese for dinner and my final night in Aix-les-Bains was nearing an end.

Fantastic lunch!
 
Faure Museum

View between the trees of the Lac du Bourget Promenade

Lac du Bourget

The next day, after breakfast I decided to head out early and to take the back roads home, avoiding the Auto-route. The GPS predicted a 2 hour drive, but was quickly recalculated when I decided to take a scenic drive through the mountains and down to the Abbey D’Hautecombe (in Saint Pierre de Curtille). I spent a few hours winding up and throughout the hills and mountains, stopping along route to admire the view and snap a few pics; and then toured the peaceful grounds of the Abbey before returning home in the early afternoon, where as is usual, things returned to normal

A view along one of the many stops along the mountainous drive

(The camera is pretty well worn from resting on rocks & tree trunks...)

Abbey d'Hautecombe

Abbey d'Hautecombe



 

No comments:

Post a Comment