I arrived in a drizzly Edinburgh in the early afternoon hours and set out on a relaxed cab ride into the city to meet my good friend Paula. Feeling ultra excited and somewhat astounded that I was actually in Scotland!, I fought back tears of joy, as I had finally made it! Scotland has been on my immediate bucket list of sorts for some time, so the realness of this journey hit home, and I probably looked bi-polar as my expression changed from contentment, to elated smiles, to eyes glistening with enjoyment, in the short 30 minute cab ride to the B&B.
Upon arriving at the B&B, Paula and I set out to explore the historical city of Edinburgh. We spent the day catching up, wandering around the city and indulging in fish & chips with beer, all the while confusedly contemplating why a capital city would shut down at 5pm?! Despite the locked doors of churches and many shops and stores; restaurants, pubs and city centre souvenir and clothing shops still enticed.
Not only was I in Scotland, but I was also spending the time with another good friend from home. It is truly amazing the experiences that have unfolded over this past year, and the fortunate gratitude of having the opportunity to spend periods of this time with good friends! Paula is perhaps one of my newest friends from back home, where we met in the wee morning hours at the gym among boot camp inspired workouts, conversing between sets, and later learning of additional friendship and work connections.
The following day was a full day in Edinburgh, fuelled by a hearty breakfast of poached eggs, sausage, toast and fresh mushrooms. Oh how I miss the full and hearty breakfasts and brunches of home! We spent the day driving throughout the city on a hop on hop off tour bus and made our way up to Edinburgh Castle, where we witnessed the one o’clock gun firing of the cannon. Overlooking the city, the Castle is set atop a hill rich in history and charm, a mini city of sorts with magnificent views of the city below.
Later that afternoon we wandered around the National Museum of Scotland before breaking to enjoy high tea on the top floor of the Museum. In Scottish style we sipped Earl Grey tea while dining on gourmet crustless finger sandwiches and decadent sugary desserts. Having forgotten that much of the city closes at 5, we decided to resume our museum tour at of course 5pm, only to be led outside of the now closed and locked doors. We then walked through Princes Garden learning the names of the few infamous squirrels that frolic about, stopping to feed them brazil nuts and feel their tiny paws resting in our palms! The remainder of the day was spent wandering in and out of shops, and walking throughout the city; which as with many European cities is small in surface, yet immense in culture and history.
The next morning, bellies full of traditional Scottish porridge, we embarked on a short train ride to Glasgow where the air was slightly crisp and the skies released a light mist of rain. There we met Paula’s cousins and spent the afternoon in authentic Scottish company! An after dinner stroll through the streets of Glasgow, and I was struck at the differences between the rival cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow. While Glasgow is often dealt the short end of the stick and is stereotypically thought of as rougher and dirty, it retained a welcoming big city charm that feels more metropolitan; bustling with nightlife, city sleekness and excited energy. Whereas, Edinburgh appears more refined and artsy, with a quiet cultural authenticity and a marked conservative and quiet air.
Alas, my short jaunt to Scotland was nearing an end, and the following afternoon I landed at Lyon Saint-Exupéry airport where the temperature was well over 70° and the sun was brightly shining in the afternoon sky. If only my mood reflected the weather… but rather I was feeling more like the overcast, 4 seasons in one day fluctuating climate of Scotland… already missing the simplicity of English communication and friendship.
No comments:
Post a Comment