This morning I set out to attend the English speaking church I found in Lyon. I figured I would take a new route to get there and explore a new bus and metro line. All good in theory, except that I could not find the bus line (#11), even though I am sure I have walked by it a dozen times? Plan B was to walk to the Part-Dieu train station and take the metro, but Plan B lead back to Plan A and I stumbled across the bus I was looking for! Okay so back on track and 10 minutes behind, but like a good sheep I found my way onto Metro line B where I got off at Debourg and began my 10 minute trek to church – and in the right direction for a change!!
Ah the nice familiar language of English and a roomful of people all in the same boat – original English speakers living in Lyon!! While the service was inspirational and incorporated great parallels and comparisons of living a God filled life, and the importance of advent and preparing ourselves for others, I was most struck by the sharing of peace. I am used to a simple shake of hands with the immediate neighbours around me but I was not prepared for the traditional French custom of kiss your neighbour!
Most people gave peaceful handshakes while wandering around the church greeting as many people as possible. The English Chaplain also made his way around the room and as we approached to exchange peace, and I began to extend my hand, I realized that he was moving in for the cheek to cheek. So peace to the Chaplain on each cheek it was…, which was made even more strange when he asked my name and where I was from, after the fact.
Fast forward to communion… Standard practice and tradition, except the congregation forms a circle around the alter and receives communion one by one including real wine!!! Did I mention that I haven’t had the pleasure of indulging in much wine since arriving here. I think I may have found a new home ;)
Following the service and on my walk back to the metro station, my MP3 player decided that it would not play. Maybe it was God cancelling out any convenient distractions or maybe it was because he too was listening to track 3 by Metric while I was walking to church; and I am sure it is not an appropriate Sunday morning tune; or maybe it randomly does not play because it is finicky that way...
So sans music and back on the Metro, a man sat across from me and proceeded to get his next cigarette ready… This involved a tiny cube of hash, rolling papers and a lighter… oh yeah, and the metro was packed. Without hesitation he lit the block of hash and proceeded to prepare his manufactured smoke. Trying not to appear as though I was watching as he was merely inches in front of me, we made eye contact and he asked some general questions about my day (en français) and then asked if I smoked, to which (don’t worry Mom), I said ‘non’. Then he explained that it was to de-stress and something that he does not do every day, as if he needed to justify and defend his choices. Hmm, maybe my MP3 player decided not to work so I could have a friendly chat with this man whom I would usually and naturally though my own interests not have the opportunity to meet?
It is now only 12:30 and I have kissed a priest, drank wine (okay only a sip), and met a man comfortable with drug use in public, while managing to find my way back home…. I think it is time for a nap….
No comments:
Post a Comment