Maybe it was my new boyfriend jeans with a pair of boots worn over top, or my confident strut as I was heading out to the movies solo, but a slightly older Frenchman stopped me to say, "Tu est belle!" ... Let me stop to confirm that the stereotypes are correct and Frenchmen are direct, forward and not shy with compliments or propositions... After saying thank-you, I was showered with more compliments ("Tu est magnifique... comme une princesse... etc...). This was followed by questions asking why I was going out alone, and if I wanted a ride and if I wanted to go out for dinner or drinks sometime.... And the propositions did not end there, but rather I was asked for my number and when I said that I didn't have a cell phone (which was actually in my pocket, with a prayer that it would not ring), I was given his number with his full name and verbal address details... of course he inquired as to my exact address but in my best french I replied that it was just a little too much information. Oh and this was followed by him asking if I would call him 'tonight' (as it was nearly 8 pm and I was heading out to the cinema)... so I said no, and he asked if I would call him tomorrow and expressed how much he would like for me to call him... after a kiss on the cheek good-bye I boarded the bus for my next adventure.........................
Seconds after stepping off the bus, Frenchman deux, who was not shy in making eye contact on the bus, lo and behold got off at the same stop... As I was trying to navigate the direction of the theatre, I heard, "Tu est belle!" Huh, these jeans and boots must be a great combo!! This younger Frenchman proceeded to ask me where I was going and if I would like company. I explained that I was going to an English movie and he took it upon himself to continue walking with me stopping and asking other pedestrians for directions to the theater. Clearly I was not going to the movies alone?
Twenty minutes later after an unsuccessful search for the theatre, I opted to go for a glass of wine with my surprise date. Mind you that in this time, my Frenchman #2, who was an Egyptian Parisian, asked if I would like to spend Christmas in Paris, which I told him I would be spending it with family in Lyon. He then asked if I would like to spend New Year's in Paris, while also trying to repeatedly convince me that there are a lot of job opportunities in Paris, stressing that jobs are difficult to find in Lyon, and that I could obviously stay with him.
The concept of personal space is irrelevant to the average Frenchman as well, which was evident from my clingy Parisian who clamped his arm across my shoulders clutching on for dear life as if he thought that at any moment I may decide to run off... So after a couple of glasses of wine I bid my date adieu and told him I had to be up early for church; which was a well crafted and honest excuse to cut loose and nurse the buzz that was settling in my brain from the wine. A little fib about not having a cell phone or a pen for his number; and one last proposition attempt, or two, asking if I would like company a chez moi, and I was on the subway heading home.....
So my plans were once again foiled and I did not get to see the Social Network, but hey I drank some wine, spoke some French, was showered with compliments, and made it safely home (tout seul) without getting lost (okay, so I initially took the first subway train in the wrong direction)!!
To all the single ladies, book your vacations to France because there are plenty of compliment giving, proposition bearing, overly affectionate Frenchmen in Lyon!
No comments:
Post a Comment