Thursday, December 23, 2010

H.H. Days 7, 8




Tues Dec 14:
A low-key and much needed lazy day of english T.V., lounging in P.J.'s and taking Marley (Aggie's dog) for a walk to meet Aggie after work.


Wed Dec 15:
In a small town of several streets, where my options were to turn either left or right, I in my directionally challenged nature chose the wrong direction and explored a beautiful country road in Stamullen while encountering another lost soul of a sheep dog and travelled along this new path for a short while together.  ...here are some pics from my wrong turn....





A short while later I was on the right path and on the bus to Drogheda (a small town nearby). By this time I desperately needed a coffee and settled into a modern style restaurant lined with large windows, across from an aged and impressive St. Mary's Church for breakfast. While I hoped to get my caffeine fix and explore more of the area, I instead ordered a pot of tea and .... sketched..... Now I have never sketched in my life and shy away from drawing anything outside of 5 petal flowers, fluffy clouds, 'v' shaped birds and square houses with two centred windows and a door... so when I instinctively opened up my lined notebook and in black pen began to sketch the scenery outside the window, I just went with it..... and I sketched the nearby buildings and entrance to St. Mary's, and sat and reflected and sketched my little heart out until it was time to leave....  

....I wish I could include the sketches here, but they are resting comfortably in the pages of my notebook of random markings... here are photos of the real life inspirations....

Buildings in the distance... I was drawn to their connectedness and simplicity.


St. Mary's Parish Church. Directly outside the window where I was sitting.
 
Three distinct dwellings yet interconnected...













The afternoon concluded with a half pint of Guinness at the Huntsman Pub (across from the bus stop) as I waited for Aggie to return from work. Later that night, we carolled and indulged in Polish goodies with Marta (Aggie's sister) and her English class in Navan.

No comments:

Post a Comment