As I am writing these words, Christmas in France, it seems somewhat surreal, as if magical and enchanting; but in all sincerity it was very similar to a Christmas back home, full of family, food and fond memories.
You could say that I am slightly bah humbuggish - I hate Christmas music before December 20th, crowded malls and never ending lines, but this Christmas was thankfully much more relaxed with a delicate yet subtle manufactured spirit, with muted decoration, and ornament clear-out sales (confined to one aisle) days before the celebration. While I appreciated the understated commerciality of the season, I still found myself scrooge like and cheerless, partly due to missing the comforts and traditions of home, but also not knowing what to expect from this new experience.
If there is one thing I learned long ago it is to surrender expectation and to live in the moment; as if each experience is untainted by past memories or future anticipations. While easier said than done, I have been disappointed by expectations that were not met, but also by ones that were over-exceeded and unanticipated. However, I can humbly say that although as usual I had a wealth of expectations, I genuinely had an entertaining Christmas, filled with a sense of contentment and peace.
Le réveillon de Noël (Christmas Eve) was spent in morning solitude with big, fat, effortless tears of loneliness and liberation, followed by dinner, dessert and drinks with family and friends, filled with radiant laughter, conversation and admiration for the realization and actualization of this endless journey. Le jour de Noël included leftover food and emotion and was spent in the presence of loved ones around the world through Skype, phone calls, emails and a door adorned with the cards of companionship and well wishes!!
Merry Christmas everyone/Joyeux Noël tout le monde! May this season impart a sense of gratitude, appreciation and admiration for our many blessings, experiences and opportunities!
No comments:
Post a Comment